Wednesday, September 16, 2015

COMMUNITY QUILTS WORKDAY

Yesterday, a group of quilters from my guild got together at the home of one our our community quilts chairperson for a monthly working day. We began with coffee and pumpkin raisin muffins, and signed in, then headed to the sewing room to sew labels on all the quilts handed in at the meeting the previous week. Then they made sure that they were all photographed and recorded before being sent to various programs around our hometown.
Next a quilt was altered - it had been made for Quilts of Valour, and didn't meet the minimum size requirements.  Once some additional blocks were chosen, I was elected to sew them together with sashing, to add to the already completed top to make it long enough.  Others were piecing backings for some tops that needed to be pin-basted.  Two more quilts were designed, using blocks that had been donated, and pin basting continued.  
We stopped for our pot luck lunch - 2 delicious soups, salad, cheese and crackers, fresh veggies for snacking and some delicious dessert too!
More pin-basting, sewing etc., and before I knew it DH was there to pick me up - it was 4pm already!
As usual, I came home with 3 quilts ready to machine quilt, and a stack of donated "stack-n-whack" blocks that had been made many years ago.  I guess I'll have to spend some time with my stash to find fabric for sashing - there is enough of the floral print to use for a border.  I'm sure someone will love the finished quilt.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you. Your comments are important to me.