Monday, February 2, 2015

DESIGN WALL MONDAY

Nothing new on my design wall, but I've been busy quilting my version of Bonnie Hunter's Grand Illusion mystery quilt.  I rarely make a quilt in the same colours as designed, but this one struck a chord with me, and I quickly pulled almost all the fabric from my stash!  I think that quilts as scrappy as this one, usually look best with and all-over quilting design, as would be done on a long - arm machine, using a pantograph design.  BUT, I do my own quilting, by moving it through my machine's harp area, so I had to come up with a plan that would work for me.
I began by using monofilament (invisible) thread, and stitched in the ditch between each block and sashing, then around all the borders. 
After searching saved images on my computer, along with various books of quilting designs, I decided to keep it simple, and I chose design G1-8 from the book "Quilting Inside the Lines" by Pam Clarke.

I decided to use some "Twist" thread from Superior Threads.  I used a bright green colour to stitch the design, to echo the green in the sashing, and because there was no green in the block.
I continued to stitch in the the squares of the sashing, using a blue Twist thread, in a similar shade to the teal blues that I used in the blocks and cornerstones.  I used the "Squiggle Square" quilting design, from the tutorial by Lori Kennedy at theinboxjaunt.com.

Now I'm off to search for a floral quilting design to stitch in the cornerstones, using a bright pink thread.  I want to complete this quilt so I can count it as done soon!

Head over to Judy's blog, Patchwork Times to check on this week's creativity shared by other quilters.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you. Your comments are important to me.