Monday, November 10, 2014

DESIGN WALL MONDAY

Finally.....I'm back to quilting!  Last winter I found some fabric panels based on Eric Carle's book, "10 Little Rubber Ducks".  I ordered the book as well, just in case we have a new family member soon.  Good news - the baby is due in January!!!!!


I downloaded the free pattern, then decided to use some of my stash to complete the quilt.  I had this wonderful "sea" fabric leftover from some scenic wall hangings I tried a few years ago.
I machine appliqued the sun, using a satin stitch for the rays and a spiky grass-like stitch for the circle.  I used some Sulky rayon variegated thread for interest.
I still have 2 more borders to attach, then I have to piece the backing.  I had 3 different "rubber ducky" flannels in my stash, just waiting for the right project!

This is my "leader and ender" project this winter.  A couple of years ago, one of the quilters in my group picked up a shoe box full of pre-cut pieces in 2 different sizes, and she gave it to me, as she didn't think she would ever use them, but for 50 cents, she couldn't resist the bargain.
I sorted them into piles of darks and lights, and rights and lefts.  When I get finished sewing this stack, there is another waiting.  After taking a piece from the top, I place the remaining matching pieces on the bottom.  I plan to just sew one long braid, then see where it takes me!  When I get this size finished, I'll tackle the smaller pieces.....

Check out all the creativity at Judy's blog, Patchwork Times.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats!!! The quilt is coming along beautifully. And you got to love a good bargain that leads to an equally good leader/ender project.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you. Your comments are important to me.