Monday, May 12, 2014

DESIGN WALL MONDAY

I've been promising myself that I'd use some more of my scraps before beginning anything new.  I had planned to make a quilt for my DDIL2's nephew, and had asked what his favourite colour was, or what colour was in his room.  Of course, the anwer was brown and beige!

I dug into my orphan blocks and units bin, and found a collection of half-square triangle units in two shades of brown, so I decided to make some log cabin blocks, using the units as the centre of each block.  I am using scrap 1 1/2 inch strips in brown, rust, and a few green, along with light beige, tan and cream.

So far, I have completed 3 rounds, and the blocks are 8 inches unfinished.  I plan to add 2 or 3 more rounds before decided on a block setting.
 This is a closer look at four of the blocks.  I'm trying to make some creative choices that will hopefully suit a young man!

Check out all the creativity shared at Judy's blog, Patchwork Times.

4 comments:

  1. I love log cabins, and from the thumbnail photo I thought this was a regular log cabin quilt. It's really beautiful; it seems like you're pushing at the limits of log cabins, by introducing other colours (I see some green and yellow) which are making it more dynamic. I'm sure the young man will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love log cabins! Yours is beautiful with the predominantly brown and beige colorway. The additional colors make it more interesting. I'm sure he will love it,

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the scrappiness of your log cabin blocks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Log cabins are one of my favorite blocks. Your quilt looks really good so far and your nephew will love it. Love that you are cleaning out some of your scraps.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you. Your comments are important to me.