Monday, August 5, 2013

DESIGN WALL MONDAY

I finally managed to get all the borders on the split 9-patch quilt I've been making.  I dug through two baskets of left-over blocks and found lots of pinwheel and half-square triangle units.  They are all organized and labelled with the finished size, so will be easier to use next time. 

I decided to use pinwheels for the pieced border, but first added a narrow white one.  Some of the blocks were too small, so I added borders either all around or only on two sides, to make the border fit.  After another narrow white border, I returned to the red print that I had used for the centre of each block, and I'll use the same fabric for the binding.
 As usual, I wasn't able to get a picture of the whole quilt top, but the appliqued heart block is centred in the top border, and I have a fan block for the bottom centre.

It feels good to use so many leftover blocks.  I'm always surprised at how many I find, stashed in numerous baskets and bags.  Now I plan to sort through more of them to find them suitable homes.

Check out all the creativity shared at Judy's blog, Patchwork Times. 

DH has made a mess in the basement and my sewing room over the past few days.  He decided to dismantle his N-scale model railway.  Our Godson showed a serious interest, and after talking to his parents, decided it was time to share his hobby.  Fortunately he made it in several pieces, so after taking apart some of the wiring, and cutting a couple of pieces of track, he removed the screws that attached it together, and into the wall, and we carried it out to the garage in sections.

He went through all the articles and books that he had collected, and after some serious downsizing, packed some folders with articles, books and ideas to share.  He also packed up extra track, various bits and pieces, and several bags of landscaping materials.  I helped him load it all into the van this morning, and he is off to deliver it today.  He asked me to come, but I wanted to get some sewing done, as well as press all my new, washed fabric.  Good thing, too, as he had to use the passenger seat in the van to fit in the final boxes!  I'm sure they will be overwhelmed with all the stuff!  It is almost as bad as quilting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you. Your comments are important to me.