Monday, March 26, 2012

DESIGN WALL MONDAY

I've been busy preparing some shapes for hand applique.  I picked up a pattern for a southwest tree of life design when we were visiting Arizona several years ago.  I brought all the fabrics south so I could work on it this winter, but unfortunately it was pushed onto the back burner. 

 I decided to get some of the shapes ready so I could do some hand stitching in the evenings on our way north.  There are still more stars and moons to get ready, as well as flowers, leaves and angels.  I've stitched the tree and the pot on the background fabric already.  I've decided to use a black background, to enhance the bright applique colours.  I can't wait to start adding all the stitched details, but I guess I have to get them appliqued in place first.....



I also had an abundance of 2-patches from my leaders and enders, so stitched them into 4-patches.  The block is called "Grandmothers' Cross" according to Electric Quilt.  I decided to use an "on point" setting, and the blocks have varied "light" setting triangles, using up scraps left-over from the plaid quilts that I made in the fall.

Check out all the creativity over at Judy's blog!

4 comments:

  1. What cute shapes!! They will be great on a black background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look forward to seeing your tree of life, Susan. And love your scrap block - what an appropriate name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what bright and cheery shapes, can't wait to see the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look forward to seeing what all these fun shapes will become!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you. Your comments are important to me.