Thursday, July 14, 2011

BORDERS COMPLETED

I managed to get the borders completed and pressed, then pieced the backing fabric.  Now I am waiting to wash the backing, along with the three 5 yard pieces of fabric that arrived from Connecting Threads.
 This shows the two fabrics chosen for borders 2, 3 & 4.  The blue print was left over from the backing fabric used on a quilt for DS1 & SDIL.
Here it is attached to the quilt.  Wish I had a better place for photography!  DH thinks that the borders "tone down" the scrappy floral applique blocks.
Since our electricity is billed by "time of use", I have to wait until after 7pm to wash and dry the fabric.  For those of you unfamiliar with "time of use", our electricity is billed at three different rates, depending on the time of day, and the rates differ seasonally as well.  The lowest rates are between 7pm and 7am, along with all day Saturday, Sunday and statutory holidays.  This means that I usually plan all my laundry and baking for the weekend, and has changed my menu planning as well.  The medium rate starts at 5 pm during the summer season, so I don't plan any long-cooking or oven meals during the week.
The plan for the "time of use" billing was to reduce the amount of electricity everyone uses, especially during peak periods, but as far as I can see, all it has done is increase everyone's bills!

1 comment:

Thank you. Your comments are important to me.