Saturday, April 16, 2011

ASKED FOR A PATTERN OR SOURCE?

I was asked for the pattern or source for a pattern for the heart shaped bowl, but I don't really have one.  I've been making wrapped baskets and bowls since the early 80's.
 I began by wrapping a 50 foot hank of clothesline cord (purchased at Walmart) with leftover selvedge edges that were torn from my purchased yardage, after washing.  Mine are about 3/4 inch wide or less, and you can use fabric strips as well.  I pin where the strips overlapped (when joining a new strip).   You can wrap as you go, but I usually wrap when watching TV.  If you want a planned bowl, you wrap as you go, so you can change the colour  to form a design.  I like the random, scrappy look!
The trick with these is to make sure that the free end of the wrap is on the right-hand side when sewing, so that the bowl forms to the left as it grows.
I used a multiple stitch zig-zag at the widest width, but a regular zig-zag is also fine.  I began with about 4 inches, then folded it back.  I also bent it like a "V" when I began to stitch.  The first few rounds are difficult, and you have to make sure that you take your time stitching around the tight corners.  
When I figured the bottom was big enough, I began tilting the bowl with my left hand, as I continued to stitch the cord, and it magically shapes the bowl.  When I get near the end, I trim the cord on a slight angle, and then wrap passed the end.  After I get the final round sewn, I continue to sew to enclose the top edge of the final round.  If your finish isn't too neat, cover it with a button, charm, yo-yo!
I know that there are a couple of new books on these type of projects, called "Its a Wrap" I think.  Give it a try, and have fun!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Susan, this basket is wonderful!! Is the zig-zag stitch done on the sewing machine or by hand? I have tried a couple of small baskets years ago but nothing this cool!! Thanks for the tutorial!! Kris

    ReplyDelete

Thank you. Your comments are important to me.