Thursday, April 22, 2010

Border Choices

When making a scrap quilt, I often use a scrap border.  Often, I just sew my "leaders and enders" 4-patch blocks together to make one, but this time I wanted to do something different.  I have been following Judy Laquidara's blog, Patchwork Times, and was inspired by the border on this quilt.

I opened my bin of 1 1/2 inch strips and started pulling strips at random.  I did some math to figure out how many 3 inch blocks it would take to make each border, then divided that in half, with half getting a white square and half getting a purple square (final border is purple because I had enough on hand to make the border!).

Each block needed 3 pieces of a dark scrap fabric, one 1 1/2 inch square, and two 2 1/2 x 1 1/2 inch strips.  It also needs one 1 1/2 inch square and one 1 1/2 x 3 1/2 inch strip of either white or purple border fabric.  Once again, I used the assembly line technique to stitch these blocks.  
For my quilt, I needed 35 blocks of each colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you. Your comments are important to me.