Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Back to Leaders and Enders

I had a large stash of 4-patch blocks made from the 2 inch squares that sit next to my sewing machine.  I decided that it was time to make use of them, before they overwhelmed my sewing area.  One of my favourite standards is a double Irish chain pattern.
I started by making the 25-patch blocks.  They are made with four 4-patch blocks, four 2-patch blocks, made with a white-on-white (WoW) fabric as one of the pieces, and a light coloured square.
Since I like to assembly-line sew, I made stacks of 4-patches etc., placing them in their block positions.  I made sure that the lighter fabrics in the 4-patches were pointing toward the centre of the block, and that the WoW squares were in the centre position on each side of the block.  I designed the layout of the quilt using Electric Quilt software, and found that I needed 18 blocks for my finished project.

2 comments:

  1. This is one I'd like to make someday. I've seen one on Little House on the Prairie series several times and just love the scrappiness of it. Once I get my scrap bins organized, I'll start my own leaders enders assembly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see the WOW pattern -- can't wait to see more. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you. Your comments are important to me.