Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Plaid Quilt Continues....

 
I finally started the fun part - the quilting in the background!
I chose this pattern as it has lots of open space for quilting.
I've been inspired by the book "Hooked on Feathers" by Sally Terry.
I started quilting in the tiny corner areas, doing feathered hooks radiating from the centre.
You can also see the next area.  I began by stitching the stem, then quilting around one side, then the other, trying to fill in all the spaces.  I used some curliques etc. to fill in extra large spots.
My background is a darker tea coloured muslin, and I decided to quilt the feathers in a contrasting thread.
I ordered several colours of tans to browns from Superior Threads, and decided to quilt with "So Fine" #425.  It really stands out well against the muslin. 

1 comment:

  1. Great feather work. I have the book but haven't tried her method yet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you. Your comments are important to me.